Thursday 29 October 2015

Review: The Boy in the Bookshop, Katey Lovell






Boy in the Bookshop

The Boy in the Bookshop is the first short story released as part of the new Meet Cute series by Katey Lovell. 


It's a short story perfect to read on a lunch break or when you have a few minutes to yourself. I must admit, I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it at first, as I'm not a big fan of short stories... they usually leave me wanting more. However, The Boy in the Bookshop is absolutely delightful, a short yet perfectly formed story about two people meeting for the first time. 


We are introduced to the focus of the story, Jade, who works in a bookshop. Firstly I'll just point out that I can't begin to explain how much I loved this setting... she's surrounded by beautiful books all day, and then meets a very attractive boy there too... what more could you want?

Katey Lovell skillfully covers all the information you'd want to know in such a short space of time. I didn't need to know any more, she absorbs you into Jade's world in the bookshop immediately and we get to know more about her. It's clear Jade is a complex character; her outward demeanor is loud and brash to match her bright fusia hair and many piercings and tattoos, but in reality she is quiet and shy and a little lost. 

When a very handsome man walks into the shop, Jade is immediately drawn to him. There's a magical sparkle between the two of them which is a delight to read, and the chemistry between the two of them was electric-  I loved seeing the story unfold and them eventually interact with each other. 

The Boy in the Bookshop is the perfect story to read when you have a quick ten minutes to spare. It's a lovely, romantic story filled with books, handsome men and attraction..... what more could you want? I must admit it has left me wanting more, I'd love to see what happens between Jade and the mystery man from the bookshop, but this short story was just enough to bring a smile to my face. An absolutely wonderful debut from Katey Lovell, I can't wait for the rest of the series!




Links: 

No comments:

Post a Comment