Saturday 2 January 2016

2015 book awards: the most shocking twists

There have been a few books I've read this year that have completely taken me by surprise by a shocking twist - whether at the end or part-way through a story. For me, a twist that shocks you and has you telling anyone and everyone you know about it (or, if you don't want to spoil the actual twist, just constantly talking about how twisty and shocking the book was!) is a sign of a great story. These three books below are ones that had me gasping in surprise and I still think about now as they were so good.




I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh

This is an absolutely sensational debut from Clare Mackintosh and has done so, so well. It's thoroughly deserved - this is a fast-paced, well written story that had me completely hooked. I still remember reading the end of the story and not quite believing it - I had to re-read it a few times to fully absorb what had just happened. Then, I bored my partner to death by talking to him over and over again by how shocking and unexpected the twist was (I think he was interested the first time, maybe not so much by the 55457th time!) If you haven't read this yet, then what are you waiting for?! Read my full review here 


The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson

Lucy Robinson is a master of emotion, writing stories that will have you holding back tears and laughing out loud all in one go. The Day We Disappeared is no exception and I was absorbed by the great plot and wonderful characters. The biggest thing about this is the amazing twist that I really didn't see coming at all. I was so shocked and surprised (in a good way) and the twist took this from being a great book to a truly excellent, tell-everyone-you-know-and-have-ever-met book. Read my full review here 


Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell 

I love Jill Mansell. She is one of my favourite authors and whatever she writes, I'll buy as I just KNOW I'll love it. I read Three Amazing Things About You this year and was completely blown away by it. It has the usual charm, intriguing characters and lovely locations that you come to expect from a Jill Mansell novel, but with another, more serious layer. One of the main characters in the story is Hallie, a girl waiting for a transplant. The story starts with her receiving a call to say she can have a transplant, so as a reader you realise that someone must have died to enable her to receive the set of lungs she so desperately needs. The rest of the story builds up to that moment and, I don't want to say anymore in case of spoiling it, but I was really shocked with how the story turned out. It was a clever conclusion which quickly propelled this into being one of my favourite-ever stories by Jill. Read my full review here

No comments:

Post a Comment