Sunday 3 January 2016

2015 book awards: favourite fictional characters

A good book is often most memorable if it has stand-out characters that you remember for a long time after finishing the book. For me, this was one of the simplest book awards to decide, as these three characters mean a lot to me. I enjoyed reading their stories, fell for them as soon as I started reading the books they were in and still think about them now - some time after finishing the books. Also, they're all strong, female leads - girl power! 



Jessica Beam 
The Vintage Guide to Love and Romance by Kirsty Greenwood 

This book is AMAZING. A-bloody-MAZING. One of the funniest and most special books of 2015- this story is absolutely brilliant. Kirsty Greenwood is an utter genius at bringing the characters of her stories to life. Jessica Beam isn't your typical female lead. She's feisty, unmotivated, clumsy and, at times, a little grose. Still, she's brilliant - funny, caring and just a little lost. I loved her from the offset and loved following her on her journey - I was rooting for things to work out for her. She is one of the funniest main characters in a long time (if not ever?!) and I still think about how brilliant she was now, nearly a year after reading. I can't wait for her next adventure. Read my full review here

Anna Browne
A Parcel for Anna Browne by Miranda Dickinson 

A Parcel For Anna Browne is a magical story, one of my firm favourites by Miranda Dickinson. The story follows Anna, who leads a happy, yet unadventurous life. One day, she starts receiving parcels from a mystery sender. The parcels contain the most beautiful gifts which help Anna find out more about herself and grow in confidence. This is a wonderful story, but for me it was made by how lovely and sweet Anna is. She's the kind of person you can imagine easily being friends with and I really, really enjoyed watching her grow and develop throughout the book. Read my full review here 

Maddie
Always the Bridesmaid by Lindsey Kelk


Lindsey Kelk's writing is always absorbing and witty, and Always The Bridesmaid is no exception. This book had me laughing out loud and was a perfect, relaxing easy-read. I loved Maddie, there was just something about her that struck me. She seemed so real and relatable, the situations she found herself in and the way she reacted was so true to life that I felt like I knew her. Lindsey Kelk always writes characters that jump off a page and make you feel like you know them, and Maddie is certainly one of them. Read my full review here

No comments:

Post a Comment