Sunday 3 January 2016

2015 book awards: best seasonal stories (Summer & Christmas)

There's something really fun and comforting about reading a book about the season you're in. Over Christmas, I love settling down with a festive book to get me in the Christmas spirit and in the Summer, I enjoy reading books jam-packed with summery activities and good weather. These are my picks of the best Summer and Christmas-themed books from 2015. 


Summer



Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond

Lucy Diamond novels always bring a smile to my face. She manages to create a vivid fictional world that pulls you in and absorbs you from the first page until the very end and Summer at Shell Cottage is no exception. This story follows the Tarrant family on their annual trip to Devon. I loved the different situations the characters were in and finding out what the cottage meant to them. Setting the novel in Devon during the Summer was blissful and made for perfect Summer reading... pass me a cocktail please! You can read my full review here.


A Seaside Affair by Fern Britton

This was the first story by Fern Britton I've read and I really enjoyed it. Set in a seaside town, it was a fantastic location to be set in for this season and sent my imagination into overdrive. Filled with a variety of different characters all working together to save the local theatre that's set to be bought out by a high-street coffee chain, the plot for this story really resinated with me and felt very true to life. You can read my full review here.

Summer at Little Beach Street Bakery by Jenny Colgan 

I LOVED this story - absolutely everything about it was great... the characters, the setting, the plot. The seaside location of this book perfectly suited the season, which was so well described and brought to life by Jenny. With the gorgeous sounding food from the bakery and the beautiful location, this story was a perfect Summer read that I thoroughly enjoyed. You can read my full review here


Christmas


How to Stuff Up Christmas by Rosie Blake

First of all just look at that sparkly, festive cover. I knew from the offset this would be a brilliant book to get me in the festive spirit, and I wasn't wrong! This is a great book that I absolutely adored. Rosie Blake's writing style is fantastically unique and I can't wait to read more from her. It's a fun, festive read perfect for dark winter nights. You can read my full review here


The Twelve Dates of Christmas by Lisa Dickenson

This story had me laughing out loud from the first page - it's a witty, hilarious read jam-packed with funny situations, likeable characters and lots and lots of festiveness. It's the prefect easy read for Christmas time and one that got me in the mood for celebrating. I'm already looking forward to reading it again next year! You can read my full review here.

Christmas at Lilac Cottage by Holly Martin 

Romance writing at it's finest, Holly Martin once again creates an addictive story filled with romance and sexual tension. I was willing for the main characters, Penny and Henry to act on their feeling for each other and just get it to together already! Aside from that, there's lots of festive sparkle in the story too which I loved. A brilliant all-rounder that I thoroughly enjoyed. You can read my full review here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment