Tuesday 29 December 2015

2015 book awards: best crime novels

2015 was the year I discovered crime novels. This time last year, I was a Women's Fiction only reader. No crime or mystery for me, thank you very much. But, thanks to blogging, this year I've discovered a whole host of brilliant new authors and books, including new genres. I've really got into crime and mystery type novels and I feel these three were the best crime or murder mystery stories that were released this year. 



Silent Scream by Angela Marsons

If I could have done, I'd have put all three of Angela Marson's DCI Kim Stone stories in this shortlist, but it wouldn't really be fair. Angela Marsons has taken the book world by storm this year, and it's so easy to see why. Not only has she released three (yes, three!) books in one year, but she has also now sold over one million copies of her books - an incredible achievement. I've loved all three of her books - they are jam-packed with grizzly murders, interesting characters and a gripping storyline. Kim Stone is a gritty, difficult main character who you still have a soft spot for because of her hardworking and (secretly) caring nature. I loved watching her develop over the course of the different stories. Silent Scream was the one that story that propelled Angela onto my radar, which is why it's one of my favourite crime stories of the year... a truly gripping, well-written and twisty crime novel. Read my review here 




Don't Turn Around by Caroline Mitchell 


Another Bookouture crime author that is doing exceptionally well. Caroline Mitchell has released two books this year - Don't Turn Around and Time to Die. Like Angela's books, I struggled to decide which to shortlist, but decided on Don't Turn Around as it was a story that absolutely absorbed me. DC Jennifer Knight is another strong female lead - feisty, determined and tough, I really enjoyed watching her solve the complex case that Don't Turn Around followed. There is a psychic, paranormal element to the story too, which provides a more unique approach to a crime story. Read my review here



The Dead Dog Day by Jackie Kabler 

This is a really interesting and different approach to a crime novel, as the genre itself is a mix of romance and crime. The story follows a murder at a TV station and I loved that aspect of it - you can clearly see that Jackie has first-hand experience in this industry and I enjoyed seeing how it linked into the crime aspect of the story. The genre mix didn't seem muddled, it actually helped drive the plot and peak my interest. This is a story I really, really liked and it kept me gripped - I was really surprised my the ending and who the killer was. Read my review here

No comments:

Post a Comment