Thursday 16 July 2015

Book review: Fairytale Beginnings by Holly Martin

"Love is an open door…except when it keeps slamming in your face
Hopeless romantic Milly Rose has had her fair share of heartbreak. Obsessed with all things Disney, she refuses to give up on finding her Prince Charming – he’s out there somewhere, isn’t he? 

When Milly is given a job to investigate the origins of a historical building in the village of Clover's Rest, she’s not sure what to expect. What she discovers takes her breath away - a beautiful real life Cinderella castle, complete with turrets, a magnificent drawbridge AND a very handsome owner…Cameron Heartstone

As Milly and Cameron begin to unearth the secrets of Clover Castle, they can’t ignore the intense chemistry building between them. But they’ve both been hurt badly before. Can they take a big leap of faith and find their own happily-ever-after? "





To be honest, any story that centers around Disney, fairytales and a beautiful castle is going to be a winner for me. Fairytale Beginnings delivers on all these points- it is a sweet, romantic story that I thoroughly enjoyed. 

I must admit, this is the first book I've read by Holly, but since I started blogging earlier this year I have realised what an absolute gem she is - always eager to engage and interact with bloggers and works bloody hard to produce some brilliant stories! After reading this, I'm hooked and have downloaded One Hundred Proposals and The Guestbook to my kindle to eagerly read soon! So, I'd best get on with actually providing a review for Fairytale Beginnings. 

This is a romantic, 'will-they-won't-they' story that focuses on two of my favourite things - Disney and romance. The story follows Millie, who heads to Clover castle to see if it can be granted funding to help with the restorations of the place. (Can I have her job please?! It sounds so much fun!) As she gets there, she discovers the rather odd villagers and then literally bumps into Cameron, the owner of the castle. Millie is a fab main character, she's girly, funny and a major history buff. At times, she did seem slightly immature with some of the thoughts and feelings she has, but I looked past that and focused on the fact she wears sparkly converse and is a lovely, honest main character. 

I loved reading about the castle, it was so mysterious as well as beautiful. The turrets, ghosts and secret passageways made it sound fantastic and you become as absorbed as Millie does with its history, really hoping that it will be old enough to be given the funding it needs to make it even better. 

While doing these investigations, she gets to know the owner, Cameron. The tension between the two of them is electric and on-going, at times I felt like shaking them both and yelling 'come on! just get together'. Cameron is a swoon-worthy hero who I fell in love with. He's handsome, funny and just the perfect leading man. He's pretty guarded as he's been hurt before but Millie manages to break down that wall and open him up again. I loved seeing their relationship develop over time and they are both very realistic and open characters which made this story so easy and enjoyable to read.  

The only thing I didn't understand was the Summer Solstice celebration. I don't want to ruin anything so I can't go into it too much, but Millie and Cameron are involved in part of the celebration and I really don't see why it's necessary. It doesn't really add much to the story and, to me, just seemed slightly bizzare. The plus side of this though is that it gives us readers a chance to find out more about the villagers, who are hilarious and add another great layer to this story. 

So, Fairytale Beginnings is a fabulous, sparkly story that I really enjoyed. It's introduced me to what a great author Holly Martin is, but if you're already familiar with her then I'm pretty sure this won't disappoint. If you want a romantic, gorgeous read then this is certainly the story for you. 

If you want a sneak peak of Fairytale Beginnings, you can read chapter one here 

No comments:

Post a Comment