Sunday 22 March 2015

One month reflections



So today marks my one-month bloggiversary. I know it's not a long time to celebrate, but I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far and I've also been really surprised some elements of blogging. I thought I'd post today about some of the brilliant things I've already discovered, only one month into blogging. 





1) The blogging community is fab

When I first started blogging, I wasn't sure how to promote or get the word out about my page. I reached out to a couple of my favourite book bloggers, who spread the Twitter word! Special shout of to Becca at Becca's books for giving me that initial shoutout - it helped so much.
Fellow bloggers have been so welcoming, friendly and encouraging. They have spurred me on from the very start and made me believe in what I'm doing. Thanks to the wonder that is Twitter, I speak to many other bloggers on a daily basis which makes me smile. It's nice to be able to chat to other bookworms about what I'm reading or a good blog article. 

2) Authors are are really friendly

Don't get me wrong, I never imagined that authors wouldn't be nice. I've just been surprised by just how nice and genuine they are. Every author that I have reviewed so far has tweeted me not only to say they've read my review but also that they enjoyed it! It makes the process so worthwhile and I'm so grateful for the lovely comments I've had from some of my favourite authors. They genuinely appreciate the feedback or reviews you provide and seem to love hearing that their book has brought a smile to your face, but it's great that they interact and tell you it's appreciated! 

3) It's fun 

Now, I can see how blogging can turn from a fun hobby to become overwhelming. I can imagine that the larger the pile of books to read grows, or the closer a deadline for a review approaches it can become stressful and all-encompassing. I know some bloggers have had to take a break as it became too much stress and work, and I can see why. Blogging should be FUN, it should be a way to interact with other people, write about things you love and enjoy what you do. It's early days for me at the moment but so far, it's nothing but fun. I'm reading faster than I used to so that I can post a review, but I'm trying to keep things manageable and fun. Hopefully it stays this way! 

4) Netgalley is awesome

Until I started Little Northern Soul, I had no idea this fantastic site existed. Netgalley is a website used by nearly all publishers to allow professional reviewers to access many books to read, review and provide feedback. For me it's a bookworms dream and I'm lucky to already have been given access to some fantastic books to read and review. 

5) There's more than just reviews 

I've been opened up to just how much you can do on a book blog. Within my first month I've taken part in cover releases, book tours, author Q&A's and I'm looking forward to attending Rebecca Raisin's book blogger party in London next week! 





I'm so pleased I took the step to start Little Northern Soul, I'm enjoying being creative and being able to keep track of the books I read, as well as interact with some lovely people and take part in fun events! 

What's your favourite thing about blogging? 

L xx 


2 comments:

  1. Laura, what an absolutely LOVELY post! I couldn't agree with you more. I've been a part of the blogging community for almost two years now, and I can honestly say that I've never felt more at home than what I do when chatting and talking books with my bookish Twitter buddies, as well as the general life chit-chat, too, of course! It's a brilliant place to be.

    Thank you the special mention, too. So lovely to be remembered, especially by such a passionate blogger like yourself.

    Becca xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You should definitely celebrate your one month of blogging. That's awesome. I still get excited when an author tweets me or follows me on Twitter... and I will have been blogging for 4 years this year. It seriously never gets old or boring for me :)

    ReplyDelete