Friday 20 March 2015

Review: I Let You Go by Clare Mackintosh


 "A tragic accident. It all happened so quickly. She couldn't have prevented it. Could she?"

 In a split second, Jenna Gray's world descends into a nightmare. Her only hope of moving on is to walk away from everything she knows to start afresh. Desperate to escape, Jenna moves to a remote cottage on the Welsh coast, but she is haunted by her fears, her grief and her memories of a cruel November night that changed her life forever.Slowly, Jenna begins to glimpse the potential for happiness in her future. But her past is about to catch up with her, and the consequences will be devastating . . ."



Oh my goodness - I'm still reeling from this gripping read.

Straight away it pulls you in and, ironically, doesn't let you go,  emerging you into the lives of the two main characters- Jenna Grey, who is struggling to come to terms with a tragic accident while attempting to start a new life in Wales, and Ray Stevens, the DI investigating the accident who is finding it difficult to juggle a demanding career and a busy family life. 

It is fantastically written and I particularly enjoyed the split between a first person and third person narrative from the dual-perspective, which worked really well. Clare has the ability to make everything stand out throughout the story - one minute I was on a run-down terraced street and the next I was transported to a welsh clifftop, overlooking the beach with the strong waves crashing against the rocks below. 

It's easy to fall for the characters and will them on- not only to do what's right but also what's best for them. You really feel for Jenna following the accident and root for her to be able to move on and make something of her new life. You also hope the police will solve the case and be recognised for the hard work they put in, and that Ray will finally be able to progress within his career as well as have a happy home life. 

Once I realised I was getting close to the end I just couldn't put it down- I ignored my ringing phone, delayed dinner, told my other half to shush and hid in the bedroom so I could become engrossed in the last few chapters and find out what happened. I'm glad I did, and you certainly need to prepare yourself for a dramatic conclusion - I didn't expect such a twist at the end even though the rest of the novel is full of them! It's the type of book that when you're finished you have to sit back and absorb it - you can't just walk away. 

I've found it hard to review this book without giving too much away, there's loads of points I'd like to mention but it would ruin it. What I will say is that there are many twists and turns throughout that keep you on your toes. It's certainly not an easy read but it shouldn't be, it covers many emotional and hard-hitting topics, on occasion with enough detail to make you gasp with shock - it opened my eyes to a whole different world that I knew nothing about. 

I Let You Go is a sharp, dark but fantastic book that I would highly recommend. If you haven't read this yet, do. It's brilliant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment